These wonderful Easter treats are easy to make and always a big hit. The yellow "yolk" is a pleasant surprise that always gets a big smile.
- 3/4 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 8 oz milk chocolate
- In large bowl, mix together butter, condensed milk, vanilla, salt and sugar. The consistency should be like a really thick icing.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and place the mixture on it. Knead it a few times until it’s smooth.
- Take 1/3 of the mixture, put it in a bowl, and dye it with yellow or orange food coloring. Roll this mixture into 16 little balls.
- Roll the rest of the white mixture into 16 balls, and flatten into little discs.
- Place a yellow ball on top of a little white disc, and wrap the white part around the yellow part. If you find the white discs start drying out, just hold them between your hands for a few seconds, and they’ll get soft again. Form into an egg shape, and place on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Chill eggs for 2 hours.
- Melt your chocolate either in the microwave, or in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Dip eggs in roll around until they’re covered, then remove with a fork and shake a bit to remove excess chocolate. Put back on parchment paper, and chill again until chocolate is firm.