Authentic Amish Buttermilk Pie
A delicious, easy to make dessert.
- 9-inch deep dish pie crust can be frozen or make your own. (See recipe below.)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk together eggs, 1 cup sugar, flour, buttermilk, vanilla and butter.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Combine 2 Tbsp sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Deep Dish Pie Crust Recipe
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 9 1⁄2 inches deep dish pie plate
- In food processor, pulse flour, salt butter and vegetable shortening until in large crumbs.
- Add cold water; pulse until mixture starts to form a ball. (Do not over mix).
- Shape dough into round disc.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 10 minutes until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 11 inch circle on floured surface.
- Fit dough into 9 1/2 inch deep dish pie plate.
- Turn edge under and flute.
- Pour in filling and bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes.
Join the Amish on Facebook
Learn More About The Amish and Amish Country at: www.visittheamish.com